Tuesday 3 August 2010

Rules are meant to broken......(arent they?)

I never conform, I never do as Im told, I always go against the grain, if someone tells me to do something I do the complete opposite, if there is a rule then I am there to break it, I dont follow I tend to lead and if I go alone or if people come with me Im just as happy.  Being this way has admittedly got me into a lot of trouble over my years but I have also had the most immense fun too.  Its liberating to do what I want, to go with what my gut instincts tell me to do, to fly in the face of what everyone else is doing and do it my way, it can be damn right scary too, it pushes my buttons and it gets me to face my fears and do it anyway.

So I began wondering why am I like this.  As a child I was angelic, I was quiet, shy, very withdrawn, wouldnt say boo to a goose, did as I was told, lived in fear of my mother and father, never crossed the line for many of my earlier years.  I was brought up in a strict household, my mother ruled the roof, you darent cross her, she was ferocious.  I wasnt allowed to say certain words, I remember I wasnt allowed to say liar, swearing was out of the question, smoking was forbidden (at 13 I used to smoke herbal cigarettes out of my bedroom window - till my little sister caught me and bribed me!!), no elbows on the table when eating, no leaving the table if any food was left on my plate (thats another whole issue right there!!), no slouching, no chewing gum, no this, no that!! bleurgh!!!! Goddamit no wonder I rebelled as soon as I could.  At 16 enough was enough I flew the nest, found drink and I was outta of there, or so I thought!!  I have vague recollections of my mother dragging me out of nightclubs and telling all of the bouncers in my home town never to let this girl in ever again as I was only 16!!! She ruined my sweet 16 social life, but I can giggle about it now!!  I also paved the way for my siblings, I dont think that they ever got into as much trouble as I did.

So flip this scenario around to right now and I am a mother myself to George who is nearly 11.  I am bringing up my child completely differently, I treat him like an adult, he can choose what to do but he also has to deal with the consequences if there are any.  I am much more liberal than my mother ever way and only time will tell how George will mature into a young adult.

But I must admit my mother did her best and maybe if she hadnt been that way then I wouldnt have turned out into such the rebel that I am today.  So for that I have to thank my mother and I do definitely agree that rules are meant to be broken as Mae West said beautifully "if you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun".

No comments:

Post a Comment