Friday 25 June 2010

Its Friday - Ive got a little task for you to do......

I had an insightful meeting with one of my lovely clients earlier this week.  We were talking about her passions, ideals and goals for her body and in our meeting I came up with a great little task for her to do which I thought would be good for anyone to do, especially if you have any hang ups with your lovely body.

I asked my client to list in one column her ideals for her body, I asked her to be ultra specific and super clear.  She came at me with a long list, probably about 15 + items on there ranging from...
shiny, healthy hair
high cheekbones
pert breasts
clear glowing skin
no cellulite
no stretchmarks
thin ankles
shapely thighs  .... and so on, but you get the gist.

Now we spent a long time looking through this list and I asked her how she compared her actual self to this "super" list. We checked off the ones she felt she had and left the others alone.   I then asked her in column two to write next to each comment in column one how she actually felt about her body when she compared it to her "ideal" body and then how she talked to herself about this part of her body.    This is where the exercise got interesting.

When comparing her real self to her ideal self her self talk was rude and very disrespectful - not good for her self esteem at all!!  My client had made up this "super ideal" body in column one and after probing and questioning she realized she had let herself be conditioned into this list by reading various magazines, looking at TV programs and comparing her body with the airbrushed images that are spoon fed to us via the media.  

Now after comparing column one to column two I asked her to write up column three and this column was all about how she could start reframing and accepting her exceptional uniqueness about her body.  I asked her to write out next to each comment in column one what was good/great/different about her body and she was to write this down and keep this part of the exercise.

This may take some work and this may be a challenge for some of you, especially if you are used to talking to yourself negatively.  But trust me this part of this exercise will start to do wonders for your self esteem and confidence.  This is really teaching you how to start honoring and accepting what a magnificent and fabulous body you actually have.

I would love every woman to know that she is an individual and has a certain uniqueness about her that no other woman has.   I encourage all women everywhere to STOP comparing yourselves to other women, learn to embrace everything about yourself, your curves, your shape, the way you move, the way you smile.  Why would any woman want to look like anyone else?  You are you.  Dont you just LOVE that!!!!!!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment